Is Being Mediocre Acceptable?

That movie was okay. The potatoes taste alright. She's a pretty good swimmer. When is being mediocre acceptable? In the age of photo shop, and filters, it seems that perfection has become the norm. Everyone is killing themselves to be their best selves, wives, moms, teachers, friends, players, etc. Everyone is supposedly so "Woke", however they shame each other for missteps, or inability to perform at certain levels. I am guilty of being mediocre in some area of my life everyday, and I do not apologize. I earn a 70%, I am a C+, and considered average at best at some point. I will not pretend that I have not participated in this charade of perfection, made an effort to be the best teacher, #1 mom, awesome wife, and a woman who does it effortlessly. I realized one day, and perhaps I will share that pivotal moment of complete clarity sometime; none the less I realized I was simply okay in some areas, good in others, and perfect at none. I decided that I was okay, my kids were okay, my husband was okay, and my students were okay. The hard part was becoming unapologetic for my choice. That was the most freeing experience for me, to say out loud that I am not striving for excellence, my best is good enough, and some days 70% will just have to do. My mental health is more important than what people will think of me. In doing so I can be the person I need to be in the areas that matter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Have Been Misinformed: Does Love Require Compromise?

My Right to Choose