My Right to Choose

Don't worry people I am not getting on a soap box about women's rights, however that is also my right but this is in reference to my right to choose when I teach my children about sexuality, and romantic love. I have had two conversations recently, the discussion was about a show for children and it introduces homosexuality, and complex romantic and family  relationships. The issue is that these relationships are with 12 year kids, on the Disney Channel not Freeform or Nick at Night. I have the right to chose when my kids are exposed to these things, but I feel like the media and society has taken that away from parents. For those of you who think this is borderline homophobia, it's not. I also feel like my kids should not be exposed to complex heterosexual relationships. Children are growing up to fast, and everyone says its a sign of the times, but I think it is over exposure. This particular show is about a group of friends who begin to realize they have romantic feelings for each other, one of the boys was in full tears because he like the boy same boy. The boy  was evidently just coming to the realization that he liked boys and he didn't the other boy to get together with their other friend. My children were very confused, and I was forced to try to explain this to 9 year old's. I was also forced to explain to these same 9 year old's why this girl was so worried, and crying about wanting to be with this boy as well. My children were told you cannot date until high school, but why oh why would Disney tell people's children it is okay to be romantically involved to that extreme at their age. Essentially this is Dawson's Creek for young children. I know, I know, if I don't want them to see it, don't let them watch. We all know that's easy to say and harder to do. There are only a few channels that I was sure I could allow my kids to watch at anytime of the day that would not expose my kids to questionable material. That is no longer the case. The question is when will the larger society stop taking away our right to choose? I am sure they did it, because some group felt like they needed to be represented, but when will this end? Neither of these relationships needed to be represented on a children's network. Yes, parents need to monitor their kids viewing, but I do miss having the right to choose what I do and do not want my kids exposed to.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

You Have Been Misinformed: Does Love Require Compromise?

Is Being Mediocre Acceptable?